986-238-6582 • 730-874-6608
Trip Starts from
Meghalaya is a northeastern state of India known for its stunning natural beauty, diverse culture, and unique traditions. The name Meghalaya literally means “abode of clouds,” which is fitting given the state’s abundant rainfall and misty landscapes.
Geographically, Meghalaya is characterized by its rolling hills, lush forests, and numerous waterfalls. The state is also home to some of the highest rainfall areas in the world, with the town of Cherrapunjee (also known as Sohra) holding the record for the wettest place on earth. You can surely plan a trip to Cherrapunji with the Shillong Cherrapunji Tour Packages.
Meghalaya is also known for its rich cultural heritage, with a number of different tribes and ethnic groups living in the state. The Khasi, Jaintia, and Garo tribes are the most prominent, each with their own unique customs and traditions.
Sightseeing in Meghalaya
Sightseeing in Meghalaya offers a chance to explore the state’s natural wonders, cultural heritage, and historical significance. Tourists can visit popular tourist destinations like the Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunjee, Mawlynnong Village, Dawki River, and Umiam Lake. Visitors can also explore the ancient rock formations of Khasi Hills, including the Mawphlang Sacred Grove, which is a protected forest area that is considered sacred by the Khasi tribe.
In addition to natural wonders, Meghalaya is also home to a rich cultural heritage. Visitors can learn about the unique customs and traditions of the Khasi, Jaintia, and Garo tribes by visiting their villages and attending their cultural events like Nongkrem Dance Festival and Wangala Festival.
Places to visit in Meghalaya for tourists
- Living Root Bridges: Visit the natural marvels of Meghalaya’s living root bridges, like the Double-Decker Root Bridge in Nongriat or the Umshiang Double-Decker Root Bridge in Riwai.
- Cherrapunji: Known as the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunji is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. Explore the stunning landscapes, trek to the Living Root Bridge, and take a dip in the refreshing waters of the Nohkalikai Waterfall.
- Shillong: The capital city of Meghalaya, Shillong is a hub of cultural and musical activities. Visit popular tourist spots like the Elephant Falls, Lady Hydari Park, and Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures.
- Mawlynnong Village: Known as the cleanest village in Asia, Mawlynnong is a popular eco-tourism destination. Admire the lush greenery and learn about the village’s sustainable practices, like its waste management system and Living Root Bridge.
- Dawki: Famous for its crystal-clear waters, Dawki is a popular spot for boating and fishing. Take a boat ride on the Umngot River and witness the surreal beauty of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Nongkhnum Island: The largest river island in Meghalaya, Nongkhnum is a scenic paradise for nature lovers. Trek through the verdant forests, swim in the natural pools and enjoy a picnic on the sandy beaches.
- Mawsmai Cave: Explore the fascinating underground world of Meghalaya’s Mawsmai Cave. Marvel at the limestone formations, stalactites, and stalagmites, and feel the cool breeze in the underground chambers.
- Jowai: A historic town in Meghalaya, Jowai is known for its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. Visit the scenic Krang Suri Waterfall, enjoy a boat ride on the Myntdu River, and learn about the indigenous Pnar community at the Syntu Ksiar Cultural Complex.
The nearest airport to Shillong is Umroi Airport which is around 57 km away from the city. There are several airlines operating at this airport such as Air India, Jet Airways, IndiGo Airlines, and SpiceJet Airlines. It also offers domestic flights to various destinations throughout India including Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Kolkata among others.
Top 10 Must-Visit Places in Shillong
- Shillong Peak
- Ward’s Lake
- Don Bosco Museum
- Elephant Falls
- Police Bazaar
- Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians
- Lady Hydari Park
- Shillong Golf Course
- Laitlum Canyon
- David Scott Trail
Read our Blog: Shillong Cherrapunji Dawki Mawlynnong Package Tours
The best way to reach Shillong is by booking a cab online or hiring a taxi from the airport itself as there are many cabs available outside the airport premises for different routes within Shillong city limits. If you are planning on staying at any hotel near Umroi Airport then you can book it online using Taxi for Northeast website as they offer great discounts on hotels near airports across India including Shillong Airport Hotel deals.
Shillong Dawki Tour
Book Shillong to Dawki Package Tour with us.
Cherrapunji Dawki Tour
Visit Cherrapunji from Shillong. Package includes Stay, Cabs and Sightseeing
Shillong - Laitlum Tour
Enjoy the Beautiful Laitlum Grand Canyon with this package.