986-238-6582 • 730-874-6608
Police Bazar Shillong, Meghalaya is a bustling market that is a must-see for any traveler visiting the region. The market is known for its vibrant atmosphere, traditional handicrafts, and delicious street food. The area is steeped in history and culture, making it a fascinating destination for anyone interested in learning more about the local way of life.
Whether you’re looking to shop for souvenirs, try new foods, or simply take in the sights and sounds of a traditional market, Police Bazar is the perfect destination. In this blog post, we will explore the market in-depth, discussing its history, the best times to visit, and the top things to see and do. So, pack your bags, and let’s dive in to explore the vibrant streets of Police Bazar in Shillong.
Police Bazar in Shillong: A popular destination for tourists
Police Bazar in Shillong is a popular destination for tourists for a variety of reasons. One of the main draws is the market’s vibrant atmosphere. The streets are filled with vendors selling everything from traditional handicrafts to delicious street food. This lively atmosphere makes for a great shopping and dining experience, with something for everyone to enjoy.
Another reason that Police Bazar is a popular destination for tourists is its cultural significance. The market is home to many traditional crafts and products that are unique to the region. Visitors can find a wide variety of handicrafts made by local artisans, including traditional textiles, bamboo baskets, and hand-carved wooden items. This makes it a great place to find authentic souvenirs and learn about the local culture.
Additionally, Police Bazar is a popular destination for food lovers. The market is home to a wide variety of street food stalls and restaurants, serving up traditional Meghalayan dishes as well as other Indian cuisines. Foodies will enjoy trying new and exotic flavors, and the street food scene here is famous for its variety and quality.
Lastly, another reason Police Bazar is a popular destination is its location in Shillong, which is known as the “Scotland of the East” and is a hill station, surrounded by beautiful hills and valleys. The market is located in the heart of the city, making it easily accessible for tourists. With so many reasons to visit, it’s no wonder that Police Bazar in Shillong is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world.
Here’s the Pincode of Police Bazar Shillong
The Pincode of Police Bazar Shillong is 793001 and it comes under the East Khasi Hills district in Shillong. The nearest locations are Mawlai, Mawpat, and Langkyrding.
Location of Police Bazar in Shillong
Police Bazar is located in the heart of Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya. It is situated in the central part of the city, making it easily accessible for tourists. The market is surrounded by other popular tourist destinations such as Wards Lake, Shillong Golf Course, and the State Museum, which are all within a short distance.
The market is also well-connected by public transportation, with several bus stops and taxi stands nearby. The nearest train station is Guwahati railway station, which is around 100 km away and the nearest airport is Umroi Airport, which is around 30 km away. This makes it easy for travelers to reach Shillong and Police Bazar.
The market is set in the midst of the picturesque hills of Meghalaya and offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and urban life. The market is surrounded by green hills, which makes it a unique and enchanting location. Visitors can also take a stroll around the market and enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
Overall we can say that it is the central part of the city of Shillong, Meghalaya is surrounded by beautiful hills and valleys and well-connected by public transportation making it easy for tourists to reach and explore the bustling streets and vibrant atmosphere of the market.
Police Bazar Timings
The best time to visit Police Bazar in Shillong, Meghalaya depends on the type of experience you are looking for. The market is open throughout the year, but the best time to visit depends on the weather, festivals, and peak tourist season.
The most pleasant weather in Shillong can be found from October to May, with the winter months being the most comfortable. During this time, the weather is cool and pleasant, making it perfect for exploring the market’s bustling streets. However, it’s also the peak tourist season, so expect large crowds and higher prices.
The monsoon season, from June to September, is also a good time to visit, but it can be quite wet and humid. The market may be less crowded during this time, and prices may be lower, but the weather can be less favorable for outdoor activities.
If you’re interested in experiencing traditional festivals and local events, the best time to visit Police Bazar is during the annual Cherrapunjee Festival, which takes place in November. This festival features traditional music and dance, as well as local food and handicrafts.
Hotels and accommodations near Police Bazar
- Hotel Pinewood: This budget-friendly hotel is located just a short walk from Police Bazar. Rooms are clean and well-maintained, and amenities include free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room service, and a restaurant on-site. Prices start at around INR 1,500 per night.
- Hotel Centre Point: This 3-star hotel is located a few minutes drive from Police Bazar. It offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities such as air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi. The hotel also has a restaurant, bar, and fitness center on site. Prices start at around INR 2,500 per night.
- Hotel Polo Tower: This 4-star hotel is located in the heart of Shillong and is a short walk from Police Bazar. It offers luxurious rooms with modern amenities such as flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges, and free Wi-Fi. The hotel also has a restaurant, bar, and fitness center on site. Prices start at around INR 5,000 per night.
- Hotel Royal Heritage: This heritage hotel is located a short drive from Police Bazar. It offers comfortable rooms with traditional Meghalayan decor and amenities such as air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi. The hotel also has a restaurant, bar, and fitness center on site. Prices start at around INR 4,500 per night.
For budget travelers, Hotel Pinewood is a great option with its affordable prices, clean rooms, and basic amenities. For those looking for a bit more comfort and luxury, Hotel Centre Point, Hotel Polo Tower, and Hotel Royal Heritage are good options, with their comfortable rooms and on-site amenities. Car Rental services are available in Shillong at all times.
Kindly note that the prices mentioned above are seasonal and often change with peak or off-peak seasons.
Food joints and restaurants in Police Bazar, Shillong
Police Bazar in Shillong is a foodie’s paradise, with a wide variety of street food stalls and restaurants offering traditional Meghalayan cuisine as well as other Indian and continental dishes. Some of the famous food joints and restaurants in the area include:
- Qzine Restaurant: This restaurant serves traditional Meghalayan and Indian cuisine, with a focus on local ingredients and flavors. Popular dishes include momos, smoked pork, and bamboo shoot curries.
- City Hut Family Dhaba: This cozy cafe and restaurant serve a range of traditional Meghalayan dishes as well as continental and Chinese cuisine. They are famous for their traditional Meghalayan thali, which includes a variety of local dishes.
- Lamee: This is a casual eatery that serves Indian dishes, including bamboo shoot curries, smoked pork, and fish dishes. They are also famous for their momos and chowmin.
- Trattoria: This is a restaurant that serves traditional food in Meghalaya state. It also has a wide range of momos which are really delicious to eat.
Traditional Meghalayan cuisine is known for its unique flavors and ingredients, and it is heavily influenced by the local hills and valleys. Some of the traditional Meghalayan specialties include dishes made with bamboo shoots, smoked meat and fish, and a variety of local herbs and spices.
All of these food joints and restaurants offer a great dining experience, and you can find a variety of flavors and cuisines to suit all tastes.
Handicrafts in Police Bazar
Police Bazar in Shillong is known for its traditional handicrafts, which are unique to the region and reflect the local culture and history. Some of the traditional handicrafts available in the market include:
- Bamboo Crafts: Bamboo is a traditional Meghalayan craft, and the market is known for its bamboo baskets, mats, and other household items.
- Textiles: Visitors can find a wide variety of traditional textiles in the market, including handwoven shawls, scarves, and other clothing items.
- Wood Carvings: Visitors can find traditional hand-carved wooden items such as statues, figurines, and other decorative items.
- Jewelry: Visitors can find traditional jewelry made of local materials such as silver, brass, and other precious stones.
These traditional handicrafts are not only beautiful but also have a deep cultural significance. They reflect the local way of life, beliefs, and customs. The bamboo crafts, for instance, are a reflection of the importance of bamboo in the local economy and culture.
To find authentic and high-quality handicrafts in Police Bazar, it’s best to shop around and compare prices and quality at different vendors. Avoid buying from street vendors or shops that offer handicrafts at very low prices as they may not be authentic. Also, it’s important to look for signs of authenticity such as a certificate of authenticity or a government stamp. You can also ask for recommendations from locals or other tourists who have visited the area before.
To find authentic and high-quality handicrafts, it’s best to shop around, compare prices, and look for signs of authenticity. You can also ask for recommendations from locals or other tourists.
To wrap things up about Police Bazar Shillong Meghalaya
Police Bazar in Shillong, Meghalaya is a bustling market that is a must-see for any traveler visiting the region. The market is known for its vibrant atmosphere, traditional handicrafts, and delicious street food. The area is steeped in history and culture, making it a fascinating destination for anyone interested in learning more about the local way of life. It is located in the central part of the city, surrounded by beautiful hills and valleys, and well-connected by public transportation.
The best time to visit Police Bazar depends on your personal preferences. The winter months of October to May offer the best weather for outdoor activities and also the peak tourist season. Monsoons are also a good time to visit if you want to avoid crowds and the festival of Cherrapunjee in November is the best time to experience the local culture and traditions.
It also offers a variety of hotels and accommodations, from budget-friendly to luxury options, to suit different types of travelers. There are also a wide variety of food joints and restaurants offering traditional Meghalayan cuisine as well as other Indian and continental dishes.
Visitors can find a wide variety of traditional handicrafts such as bamboo crafts, textiles, wood carvings, and jewelry, which reflect the local culture, history, and customs. To find authentic and high-quality handicrafts, it’s best to shop around, compare prices, and look for signs of authenticity.
Police Bazar in Shillong is a destination that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, urban life, and rich culture. It’s a must-visit destination for anyone interested in experiencing traditional Meghalayan life and culture. Additional resources for planning a trip to the area can be found on the Meghalaya Tourism website, where you can find information on transportation, accommodations, and local events.