986-238-6582 • 730-874-6608
The Dawki River in Meghalaya is a stunningly beautiful and unique destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. With crystal-clear water that allows visibility of up to 30 feet, and is surrounded by a picturesque valley and lush greenery, it’s no wonder that Dawki River is considered one of the most beautiful natural wonders in India. This blog will serve as a guide for tourists visiting Meghalaya and will provide valuable information and insights about the Dawki River and the Dawki River tour package.
Where is Dawki located?
The Dawki is located in a relatively remote part of Meghalaya, but it’s easy to reach by car from Shillong or Guwahati. The river is famous for its suspension bridge, which provides visitors with stunning views of the valley and the river below. Additionally, the river is a popular destination for boating, fishing, and camping, and visitors can enjoy a range of outdoor activities in the area.
Why is the Dawki river famous?
The Dawki River is a significant contributor to the local economy and has put Meghalaya on the map as a top tourist destination in India. Visitors from all over the world come to experience the natural beauty of the river and the surrounding area, and the region has become an important destination for adventure tourism. Additionally, the river is an important part of the local culture, and there are many events and festivals that take place in the area throughout the year.
How to travel from Guwahati to Dawki
There are several modes of transportation available for traveling from Guwahati to the Dawki. Here are some of the most popular options:
- By car: The most convenient and comfortable way to travel from Guwahati to Dawki is by hiring a taxi or renting a cab. The journey takes around 4-5 hours and the route passes through scenic landscapes and charming villages.
- By bus: There are several private and government-run buses that operate from Guwahati to Dawki. The journey takes around 6-7 hours and the buses usually stop at Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, on the way.
- By shared taxi: Shared taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Meghalaya and are an economical way to travel from Guwahati to Dawki. These taxis can be found at the Paltan Bazaar area in Guwahati and take around 6-7 hours to reach Dawki.
- By train: Although there is no direct train service from Guwahati to Dawki, visitors can take a train to Guwahati and then travel by road to Dawki. The nearest railway station to Dawki is Guwahati Railway Station, which is well-connected to major cities in India.
Adventure Activities in Dawki River Tour Package
Dawki is a must-visit destination for tourists visiting Meghalaya. The crystal-clear waters of the river are a sight to behold, and visitors can enjoy a range of activities in and around the river.
One of the most popular activities at Dawki River is boating. Visitors can rent a boat and take a ride on the river, enjoying the scenic beauty of the surrounding hills and forests. The boat ride is a great way to explore the river and take in the stunning scenery. The best time to go boating at Dawki River is during the winter months when the water is clear and calm.
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
For adventure enthusiasts, snorkeling and scuba diving are exciting options at Dawki River. The clear waters of the river provide excellent visibility, allowing visitors to explore the underwater world and discover rich aquatic life. Visitors can rent snorkeling and scuba diving gear and take a guided tour to experience the wonders of the river.
Camping is another popular activity at Dawki. Visitors can set up tents on the banks of the river and spend a night under the stars, enjoying the tranquillity and peace of the river. There are several camping sites available, and visitors can choose one that suits their needs and budget.
What is the famous food in the Dawki?
No trip to the Dawki River is complete without trying the local cuisine. Visitors can enjoy a range of delicious dishes made with fresh local ingredients, such as fish, bamboo shoots, and pork. Some popular local dishes include Jadoh, Dohkhlieh, and Nakham Bitchi.
List of sightseeing spots near the river that visitors can explore:
- Mawlynnong Village: Known as Asia’s cleanest village, Mawlynnong is located about 30 km from Dawki River. Visitors can explore the village, take a walk on the living root bridge, and learn about the local culture.
- Krang Suri Waterfall: Located about 50 km from Dawki River, Krang Suri Waterfall is a stunning natural wonder that visitors can explore. The waterfall cascades down from a height of about 100 feet, creating a beautiful pool at the bottom.
- Dawki Bridge: The suspension bridge over the Dawki River is a popular attraction that offers stunning views of the river and the surrounding landscape.
- Jakrem Hot Springs: Located about 70 km from Dawki River, Jakrem Hot Springs is a popular destination where visitors can relax and rejuvenate in the natural hot water springs.
- Shnongpdeng: A small village located near Dawki River, Shnongpdeng is a popular destination for adventure enthusiasts. Visitors can go river rafting, cliff jumping, and zip-lining in the village.
- Dawki Tamabil Border: Located about 4 km from the Dawki River, the Dawki Tamabil Border is a popular spot where visitors can see the Indo-Bangladesh border and the Dawki River.
Is Dawki worth visiting?
Absolutely, Dawki is definitely worth visiting! The natural beauty of the area is breathtaking, and the crystal-clear waters of the Dawki River are truly mesmerizing. You can take a boat ride in the river, and the experience is one of a kind. The landscapes around the river are picturesque, and it’s a perfect spot for photographers, nature enthusiasts, and adventure seekers alike. Whether you want to experience the thrill of river rafting, zip-lining, or simply relax and take in the scenic beauty of the area, Dawki offers something for everyone.
Best places to stay near in Dawki
There are several options for accommodations near Dawki River that cater to different budgets and preferences. Here are some of the best places to stay:
- Sha Ri Loum Homestay: This is a popular homestay option located in Mawlynnong Village, which is about 30 km from River. The homestay offers clean and comfortable rooms with traditional decor and serves delicious local cuisine.
- Shnongpdeng Campsite: This is a popular camping option located near Dawki. The campsite offers comfortable tents with basic amenities like sleeping bags, pillows, and blankets. The campsite also provides several adventure activities like river rafting, zip-lining, and kayaking.
- Dawki River Resort: Located on the banks of the River, this resort offers stunning views of the river and the surrounding landscape. The resort has comfortable rooms, an on-site restaurant, and several outdoor activities like fishing, boating, and trekking.
- Polo Orchid Resort: This luxurious resort is located about 70 km from River and is set amidst a lush tea garden. The resort offers spacious and well-appointed rooms, a spa, a restaurant, and several outdoor activities like golf, cycling, and fishing.
Guwahati to Dawki 2 days itinerary
Here’s the 2-day itinerary for a trip from Guwahati to Dawki
- Early morning departure from Guwahati: Start your journey early in the morning to avoid traffic and reach Shillong by mid-morning. The drive from Guwahati to Shillong takes approximately 3 hours.
- Visit Shillong: Explore the capital city of Meghalaya and visit some of its popular attractions, including Ward’s Lake, Shillong Peak, Don Bosco Museum, Police Bazar and Laitlum Canyons.
- Lunch in Shillong: Try some of the local cuisines at one of the many restaurants or food stalls in Shillong.
- Drive to Dawki: After lunch, start your journey to Dawki, which is about 80 km from Shillong. The drive takes approximately 2-3 hours.
- Reach Dawki: Check into your accommodation in Dawki and rest for a while.
- Sunset at the River: In the evening, head to River and witness the stunning sunset over the clear blue waters of the river. Visitors can also take a boat ride or try some adventure activities like kayaking or river rafting.
- Dinner in Dawki: Try some of the local food at one of the restaurants or food stalls in Dawki.
- Sunrise at Dawki River: Wake up early in the morning and witness the beautiful sunrise over River. Visitors can take a boat ride or just sit by the river and enjoy the serene surroundings.
- Breakfast in Dawki: Try some of the local breakfast dishes at one of the restaurants in Dawki.
- Visit nearby attractions: After breakfast, visitors can visit some of the nearby attractions like Mawlynnong Village, Asia’s cleanest village, or Krang Suri Waterfalls.
- Lunch in Mawlynnong: Enjoy some local food at Mawlynnong Village before heading back to Dawki.
- Return to Guwahati: Start your journey back to Guwahati and reach by late evening.
This 2-day itinerary offers a perfect mix of adventure, nature, and culture, allowing visitors to explore some of the popular attractions in Shillong and Dawki while also experiencing the local cuisine and lifestyle. Visitors can modify the itinerary based on their preferences and interests.
FAQ on Dawki Tour Packages
Q: How far is Dawki from Guwahati?
A: Dawki is located approximately 173 km from Guwahati and takes around 4-5 hours to reach by road.
Q: What is the best time to visit Dawki?
A: The best time to visit Dawki is from October to May when the weather is pleasant and the water in the river is clear.
Q: How deep is the Dawki River?
A: The depth of the Dawki River varies depending on the location and the season. In some areas, the river can be as deep as 50 meters.
Q: Is there any entry fee to visit Dawki River?
A: No, there is no entry fee to visit Dawki River. However, visitors may have to pay for parking or other facilities.
Q: Can I go boating in Dawki River?
A: Yes, visitors can go boating in Dawki River. Boats are available for rent at the river and visitors can enjoy a scenic ride on the crystal-clear water.
Q: What are the adventure activities available at Dawki River?
A: Visitors can indulge in various adventure activities at Dawki River, including river rafting, kayaking, and zip-lining.
Q: What are some popular attractions near Dawki River?
A: Some of the popular attractions near Dawki River include Mawlynnong Village, Krang Suri Waterfalls, and Dawki Bridge.
Q: Are there any accommodations available near Dawki River?
A: Yes, there are several accommodations available near Dawki, including homestays, campsites, and resorts.
Q: Is it safe to visit Dawki?
A: Yes, Dawki is considered safe for tourists. However, visitors are advised to take necessary precautions and follow the guidelines provided by the authorities.
Q: Can I hire a guide for my visit to Dawki?
A: Yes, visitors can hire a local guide for their visit to the Dawki. The guides can provide useful information about the place, its history, and the local culture.
Dawki in Meghalaya is a must-visit destination for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and anyone looking for a peaceful escape from the city. With its crystal-clear water, picturesque surroundings, and a range of adventure activities, Dawki promises an unforgettable experience for visitors of all ages.
If you’re planning a trip to the Dawki and looking for a reliable and hassle-free travel experience, consider booking a Dawki tourism package from Taxi for Northeast. With their expert knowledge of the region, their packages offer an array of services, including accommodation, transportation, and guided tours, ensuring that you have a comfortable and enjoyable journey.
So, what are you waiting for? Book your Dawki tourism package today from Taxifornortheast.com and get ready to explore the natural beauty of Meghalaya!